Saturday, February 9, 2013

Shots fired ...


I am amazed by how blaze we have become here in JHB and South Africa in general. I stay in Eastleigh Edenvale a fairly old suburb and pretty well established. I am chilling at home watching a series on the pc regarding 4X4 driving skills, you know the type, all the do's and don'ts. The front door is open, the windows are all wide open as it is a summers evening and the temperature is still here around 28deg Celsius. My bike and tools scattered all over the porch and essentially a quite evening. 

I can hear the neighbors chatting and occasionally a dog barks. All seems fine. At 20h40 a series of gun shots go off within three or four houses of me. The first volley was a rapid four .45 or .357 magnum  shots, a heavy caliber and then within three to five seconds later another three from the same weapon. A second or two later three shots are fired from a lighter caliber possibly 9mm which is the standard military or police services weapon. 

The neighborhood goes quiet and all the banter and chatting that was heard in the background together with the pigeons in their nests stopped. There is two minutes where not a sound is heard and then slowly everything starts up again the chatting and laughing from next door and the dogs get back into the act too. There is no shouting, no screaming, no running, no screeching tires and no sirens. 

Roughly fifteen to twenty minutes later a security vehicle passes by the house crawling slowly down the road. The neighbor two houses up leaves his house in his pickup, the young girl from across the way from me starts up her car after chatting to her friend and leaves and life just carries on. My reaction was a little different which we will not go into but it would seem that no-one took the blindest bit of notice. 

And thats just it - life carries on and tomorrow morning it will be a thing of the past, forgotten together with the soapie everyone seemed to be watching at the time. I can't live like this much longer, I need to get out. I truly hope that neither shooter was injured and the perpetrator learnt a lesson and the victim does not carry a scar. 

I take a deep breath and carry on ... Ooh well sleep tight everyone...

.

No comments:

Post a Comment